Make your dreams happen
A few days ago I talked about achieving your dreams, well I thought I would do a follow up blog post to this since it really got me thinking.
Let me start off with an example. Have you ever woken up and thought “heck life is pretty good but I guess it could be better”. Suddenly you start to think and you come to the realization that there is something bugging you, something missing from your life. It’s not that there’s anything majorly wrong but you know that there is something more that you are missing out on.
Sometimes I think when we have these uncomfortable feelings it’s because deep down we know we are not following our dreams Most of us had dreams when we were younger but somehow for a lot of us these dreams fell by the wayside.
Maybe you wanted to be a train driver, a teacher, a space explorer. Maybe years ago your teacher said you were a good writer and you thought one day I will write a famous book. Then the pressure of school, exams and university took over and you forgot about your dream. Then with the pressure of work your dreams are truly forgotten or seen as something you had when you were a child.
I am here to tell you now is the time to follow your dreams
Below I have outlined some tips that can help you follow and achieve your dreams:
Here’s a question to ask yourself, “what is it that I have always wanted to do?” make sure you make a note of this.
Commit your dreams onto paper. Buy yourself a notebook and use it to write down your dreams.
- With your Dream notebook in your hand, go to a park, your favorite coffee shop and sit down. Write down what your dream or dreams are. Do what I like to term a brain dump. Put everything down, at this point don’t filter anything out. Once you have a few ideas, transfer those ideas to a piece of paper that you can display prominently in the house.
- The above will help keep your dreams at the for front of you mind and focus you each day
Make a promise to yourself to do one thing every day to get closer to your dream.
- Ensure that your dreams take a high priority in your life.
- Don’t let anyone persuade you to give up on your dreams.
- Knowing what you want helps your unconscious focus and seek out ways to accomplish it.
Achieving your dream can take time. Normally your dream won’t be achieved overnight so realize it might take some time to achieve your dream.
Chunk down your dreams. Sometimes if a dream is too big it may seem impossible so what you must do is chunk it down. In other words break it down into smaller more manageable components. For example, if you want to move to another country to live try the following:
- Find out everything you can about the country.
- Discover what you need to do to live and work in that country
- Learn more about the rents, the people, customs etc. In short become an expert on that country
- Begin to plan your move carefully. Save money in order to enough together to begin the move.
- Each day continue to move forward and make progress towards your dream.
It’s perfectly normal to modify your dream. Sometimes as you explore more about your dream you may find that in fact you want to alter the dream or completely change it. That’s perfectly normal and ok.
- As you mature, and discover more about your dream you may decide it’s not for you.
- What seemed like a great dream can sometimes not be so once you explore it.
- If you find out new information and decide the dream is not for you that’s ok too. What is important is what you have learned along the way. I often say the journey is as important, if not more important, than the destination.
Once you know what your dream is don’t give up on it. In order to keep going we must keep following our dream. As said above if you discover your dream is not what you want just refocus and follow another dream.
- Everyone has the ability to realize at least one of their major dreams
- You deserve to achieve your dream as much as the next person.
Following your dream will keep you alive. All too often we have situations where something in life happens and we lose sight of our dreams. Don’t let that get you down. Remember you have one life and you have to live it. If you find you don’t want a dream any more that’s fine, but don’t let that discourage you and give up.